So far I have harvested fabric from three of the pairs trousers:
Pair 1 (Size 34 x 30);
Pair 3 (Size 36 x 34); and
Pair 6 (Size 33 x 32).
This will be enough to get the body of the jacket made, including all the pieces for the pockets and more than enough to get me started.
It’s gonna be funny looking at the finished jacket and know that that was a back of a leg and that was a front!
I think it will change my view-point on the suit next time I see an episode – which will be interesting!
It’s fascinating to see the reality of how they are cut, so here is a breakdown of how the pairs were dissected and what parts of the jacket they each provided.
Pair 1 -I choose the waist 34s pair to cut the back panels as they just fit, leaving minimal waste.
Size 34 x 30
What is left over still doesn’t entirely go to waste, as I then used it to cut the breast pocket flap and the back strap.
Pair 3 -The front panels of these trousers are the widest pieces of fabric I have, which is just as well since they need to cover from the lapel edge to the apex of the shoulder.
Size 36 x 34
The small area of waste at the top gives me enough to make the facings of the outer pockets (the piece you see at the back of the pocket when you look inside it).
Pair 6 -finally I need to cut the side panels, so to preserve as much of the fabric as possible, I have dropped to the narrowest waist I have.
Size 33 x 32
From these I have used the fronts of the trousers are the narrower of the harvested panels available.
I can still happily get the panel I want out of here, leaving a decent chunk of waste from where I cut the breast pocket and most of the pieces I need for the outer pocket flaps.
This completes the cutting I need for the body of the jacket, meaning work can start in earnest . . .