Today I start making my burgundy pinstripe Tennant Suit jacket. Now I KNOW it’s not a screen accurate colour - don’t write in! - I’m only doing it as a dry run before cutting into a single inch of my blue fabric.
I have dyed the blue fabric to the right colour, so have dyed some red pinstriped fabric (from the same source as the blue) to a burgundy so I am comparing like-for-like material (see below
Having started (but not finished) a similar jacket
earlier in the year, and a Calico Test
only a couple of weeks ago, making it up should be relatively easy and quick.
Before I can do any cutting I need to stiffen the fabric. It is, in reality, a shirting fabric, so quite a lightweight cotton. I did initally wonder if I had found the right material, but a friend pointed out that there was a publicity still where you could see the inside of the trouser ankle - and it was white, which had puzzled him (see below
). This made perfect sense to me - it had been interfaced! What I needed to work out was how stiff I needed to make it.
In the UK we have a main manufacteurer for interfacing, Vilene. Their basic range is a Light-weight
, a Medium-weight
and a Heavy-weight
version. This determines the thickness
. Each then comes in either a Standard
option. This controls it’s flexibility.
Since the fronts of jackets are usually interfaced, I am going for a Medium Stanard for the body, but I want the sleeves to be more supple, so I will use a Medium Ultrasoft for the arms.
Usually you would cut the fabric then cut matching shaped interfacing and press them together. But since I need to interface everything
I am going to press it first, then cut the pre-interfaced pieces after.
Annoyingly the fabric and the interfacing come in different widths, so I do a strip of the fabric and save the off-cut for later.
These off-cuts, once interfaced with the Ultrasoft, will be fine for the sleeves, so nothings really going to waste.